Legal Question in Employment Law in Minnesota

i feel that a wrongful layoff has happened. is it possible to get laid off while on maternity leave?

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. It is not uncommon for pregnant women or new mothers on maternity leave to be let go from their job. Federal and state law offers protection from wrongful discrimination. With limited exceptions to the general rule, it is illegal to dismiss (fire, layoff or suspend) a worker for the reason that the worker is pregnant or mother to an infant. In the event that you believe or suspect that a wrongful layoff occurred to you, it is urgent that you confer with no delay, right now, with a private attorney about the details of your situation. I recommend that you telephone several attorneys in selecting an attorney to help you, because it is important that you feel a sense of trust. There are time deadlines for persons to make claims (known as 'statutes of limitations') and you can lose your rights forever by delay, so I urge you to seek private counsel immediately. Also, in my work experience as an attorney, the sooner and earlier in a problematic situation that I may provide advice and counsel to the client, the more positive the outcome is likely to be. All the best.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms