Minnesota  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Hello-

I have broken a lease. The lease requires 60 days notice and a months rent, 733.00.

Facts: I gave notice after a weekend, a Holiday, and having the main office not return my call. I gave this notice by email.

Said main office withdrew the money, on my submission, on Jan 23rd.

I say the notice was effective Jan 20th. They say it is not effective until February 1st, thereby keeping us on the hook for rent until and including April.

I say, they took my money, and my email notice so the actual date of the notice is Jan 20th. (This is some arbitray date they verbally told me about)

I called repeatedly to negotiate something fair with them regarding my short of 60 days notice. I was held back by constraints in the purchase of my house. (The VA processes were looking like they might not come through on time, appraisal, certificate of eligibility, etc)

I emailed to negotiate something as well. I was told flat out that "WE DON'T NEGOTIATE".

My question is this: Where and what do I file in court so that I do not have to be on the hook for rent up to and including April? I am willing to negotiate and pay something for March.

I explained that I cannot pay a house payment AND a rent payment and I feel that since they took my money, my notice was on time and fair for Jan 20th.