Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Minnesota

My sister lives in a house our parents own. She has an abusive boyfriend- who does not live there- that also does damage to the property. The law enforcement in this town will not do anything about it since she's too scared to press charges. They say she needs to press charges in order to keep him off the property even tho she rents. He stays there all the time. He has been told time and again by my parents that he is not allowed on the property. I've looked into the unlawful detainer law and the police say it has too many loopholes to do anything. Is there any way my parents can legally keep this guy off their property even tho my sister lives in the house and my parents dont?

Asked on 4/11/13, 10:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Anderson Anderson Business Law LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Parents are Owners (Landlords) THEY need to bring an Unlawful Detainer

In the alternative, your sister could bring an OFP if she is afraid of him .

That can be done through the County Domestic Abuse Office

Read more
Answered on 4/12/13, 3:50 am
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Hello. Yes, there are multiple ways that a person may be restricted from one's property. The person seeking to have this accomplished may phone me for assistance regarding the matter. Tricia Dwyer, Esq. at 612-296-9666. All the best.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/13, 5:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now