Minnesota  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I will be moving to a MN town in a couple days and need a place to stay for 4 months. Every renter claims to only offer 12 month leases... but I was told by one of them that I can break the lease with 30 days notice and a small fee. If this is in the lease, and I comply with the proper actions to break the lease after 4 months, am I legally free from any further obligations or does the land lord still have the power to require me to pay the remaining duration of the lease?

Answered on: 8/29/13, 9:37 am by Tricia Dwyer

Hello. If you known you want a 4 month duration lease, then I suggest that that should be the only agreement that you sign. Agreements are negotiable, and supply and demand is involved. Sometimes there are special clauses for early termination of a lease for a reason such as a purchase of a home or job transfer or more than X miles distance, and the tenant typically pays one or more fees of various sorts to have such a clause inserted in the lease. With the concerns you express, I urge you to have attorney review of any lease agreement prior to you signing. In general: Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

TRICIA DWYER, ESQ.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

dwyer.tricia@gmail.com

http://dwyerlawfirm.net

LANDLORD TENANT LAW

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404

Answered on: 8/29/13, 9:39 am by Sam Calvert

Whatever you are told over the phone does not count -- you need to read the actual contract and see what the penalties for termination are.

Calvert Law Office 1011 2nd ST N #107 Saint Cloud, MN 56303