Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Minnesota

lawyer collecting on wage loss and gas mileage

I have a lawyer and we went to see an arbitrater and he ruled that i could collect all most half of everything summited to his. Now My lawyer is trying to collect 1/3 of that money that i got for lost wages and gas mileage. As far as i under stand he can't do that. I did not sign anything saying he could not do that but i did ask that question before i hired them to take on my case and they said that they don't collect off of wages, mileage or medical bill money and now they are. Is it lega??

Todd Johnson Johnson & Bannon

Re: lawyer collecting on wage loss and gas mileage

The question of what benefits your attorney can collect a fee on should be addressed in the written retainer agreement you signed when you hired the lawyer. I can tell you that many lawyers will not collect fees on any portion of wage loss or medical expenses that are paid voluntarily by the insurance company. However, if an arbitration is necessary to have those bills paid, the lawyer will often take a fee on those expenses. Again, however, you need to look at your retainer agreement.

Although our office is not representing you on this matter I hope this information was helpful.

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Minnesota