Minnesota  |  Real Estate Law

What basis is there to have an arbitration decision overturned? We had to pay a contractor after an arbitration hearing, but obviously he wasn't happy with what was awarded to him. His attorney has told him not to cash our check at this time. There didn't seem to be any issues with the arbitrator. What could he possibly do to try to get the ruling overturned to get more from us? The decision was legally binding.

Answered on: 11/07/12, 10:43 am by Daniel Reiff

There are a number of bases to overturn an arbitration decision. However, they are all very difficult, though. Without knowing more, it is impossible to say what the actual basis is for any attempt to overturn the decision. I would highly suggest retaining an attorney immediately to help with this.

Reiff Law Office 1660 S Hwy 100 #500 St. Louis Park, MN 55416

Answered on: 11/07/12, 11:48 am by Tricia Dwyer

Without knowing specifics, the general answer is that a binding arbitration decision may be challenged in a court of law. The agreement itself must be scrutinized as well as the facts of the matter. If anything more than a nominal (small) amount of money is at stake, I recommend you confer with an attorney without delay. I suggest you phone several attorneys, because it is important that you feel great trust in the attorney you choose to assist and advise you.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates

Minnesota attorneys

Twin Cities, Minneapolis, St. Paul, outlying areas

Phone 612-296-9666

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404