Minnesota  |  Real Estate Law

I feel my brother is trying to cheat me and pressured me into signing a financial obligation agreement on a home we both are listed on the title. He obtained a mortgage under his name and I have no access to the information of the mortgage. I am afraid he threatened me with eviction if I didn't sign and I fear that he may be doing things unlawfully or deceptively which may cause me hardship in the future. I want to escrow payments to have the agreement rewritten with my best interests considered equally.Can I force him to comply? He designated me as a tenant instead of part owner to obtain the mortgage. I am paying an amount that may be over and above my share. If there are illegal things being done by him, am I also liable?

Answered on: 8/21/13, 6:27 am by Tricia Dwyer

Hello. For a complex problem as you describe, I urge you to confer privately with an attorney. The attorney will talk with you to learn from you, in great detail, what occurred. Do provide copies of all written documentation you have. The sooner you get help, the better. You may phone me, if you wish. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

TRICIA DWYER, ESQ.

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

dwyer.tricia@gmail.com

http://DWYERLAWFIRM.NET

REAL ESTATE LAW

LANDLORD TENANT LAW

FAMILY LAW

CIVIL LAW

CRIMINAL LAW

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404

Answered on: 8/21/13, 11:31 am by Sam Calvert

Some of what you said is very confusing--specifically, that you are on the title but not on the mortgage. I would start by checking the public records and getting copies of the deed to the property and the mortgage(s). You can do this yourself or have a title company do it. You do not need to tell your brother you are checking public records at the Recorders or Registrar's office. Once you have that information, you should consult an attorney to have the documents evaluated to see if you really are on title, if so, what your percentage ownership is, and how the mortgage affects things.

Calvert Law Office 1011 2nd ST N #107 Saint Cloud, MN 56303