Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

I recently built a new house that closed on May 7, 2010. A couple months later my builder went out of business and now I am getting calls from contractors and liens in the mail for materials and services he did no pay for. I have done some research and it would seem that we may not be liable since we paid the builder in full. This was a standard conventional loan and closing where the builder had their own construction loan. Are we liable and how do we get the contractors to leave us alone.

Sam Calvert Calvert Law Office

You need to contact a local attorney who is familiar with the niceties of mechanics lien laws. Some of the contractors may be able to assert a lien against you, some may not. In large part it depends on who contracted with the contractor and whether they gave you the required pre-lien notice. Usually there is a title company or bank in charge of actually disbursing the funds during the process of construction. Did that happen in your situation? If so, I would immediately talk to them to see what releases they have and what releases they do not have, etc.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota

Frank NatoliNatoli-Lapin, LLCNew York, NY