Legal Question in Traffic Law in Minnesota

Is it illegal for a police officer to divulge personal information about giving me a ticket to a citizen friend, not another officer?

Here's the story, I live with my girlfriend and her mom's boyfriend hates me. He has a cop buddy who is basically the only cop in the very small town. Yesterday, the alarm was going off at the house apparently while we were at school so this boyfriend who was out of town with her mom called the cop to come check out the house for them as we were on our way home from school. We passed by the cop on the way home (supposedly coming from the house) and he whipped around going out of his way, followed us for a mile and pulled me over. I had expired tabs and he gave me a ticket. When we got home no less than 2 minutes later we got a call from her saying that the cop has just talked to the boyfriend saying something to the tune of "Just pulled over that "my name" and he got a 150 dollar ticket" Remembering this is only moments after the ticket was given, this seems very suspicious and much like he was bragging to him about giving me a ticket. Regardless, is it not illegal for him to give this information out to anyone before anything has been made public record after I pay the ticket or whatever? Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Asked on 11/09/12, 9:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Landon Ascheman Ascheman & Smith, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, he was probably bragging. Nope, this isn't illegal. Also, as soon as you got the ticket it was public information.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/12, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now