Minnesota  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/26/13, 8:12 am

I have loaned my daughter and her husband a considerable amount of money (at no interest) which they are paying back over the next 10 years. We are looking for a way to ensure that I would be 1st in line if they were to die prior to repayment. Is there a simple process (will?) where they could do this?

2 Answers

Answered on: 8/26/13, 11:15 am by Tricia Dwyer

Hello. An optimal way for a lender / creditor to create terms to safeguard repayment of her/his loan is for the lender to have an attorney create a written loan agreement that addresses the lender's concerns and wishes and goals. Once the loan has been made, the recipient of the money (the debtor) may create terms to safeguard repayment to the lender. The lender and the debtor may together form a new agreement ( a 'stipulation') as well. It is possible to a debt to be 'secured' by property of some sort (real estate, vehicle, other specific personal property, accounts, etc.) Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666







Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC Twin Cities Twin Cities To St. Cloud, MN 55404

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 8/26/13, 1:58 pm by Sam Calvert

Pretend you are a bank. Get a written loan agreement and promissory notice. Take security in (aka a lien on) something of value -- a home, cars, cabin, whatever. Have the security interest properly "perfected" by filing notice in the appropriate public office or offices.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Calvert Law Office 1011 2nd ST N #107 Saint Cloud, MN 56303

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search