Legal Question in Consumer Law in Mississippi


I own a house in MS that has a first and second loan. The total of the two loans exceeds the value of the home by about $80,000. We now reside in TX. The house has been on the market since January. I have been unemployed since June 1. I can no longer afford to make the payments and wish to default on the loan. What are my options? Will either the first or second mortgage company have recourse if a foreclosure occurs? For example, can they come after equity in my home in TX, other assets (IRA, 401k, etc.)

Asked on 8/13/01, 8:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul T. Hebda, Ph.D., J.D. The Hebda Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Foreclosure

I don't know what the law is in MS, but assume it is close to that of Texas. If you default, the creditors will foreclose on the house. It will be sold at public auction and whatever the deficiency is between that selling price and what remains owed on the notes will still be your liability.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/01, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 147

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Mississippi

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now