Legal Question in Consumer Law in Mississippi

Sold jacket for $3000.00 on eBay.

Buyer claimed fake and damaged.

Ebay asked him for unbiased third party documents (i.e. have a store claim it's counterfeit, or a repair shop say it's damaged and cost $x.xx to fix, etc.).

Buyer obtained a document from a Macy's employee.

Ebay took the $3,000 out of my account and gave it back to the buyer since the buyer proved the item was damaged.

Here is the problem:

(1) Macy's would never write such a note - you don't walk off the streets carrying a jacket you bought some where else and tell a Macy's employee it's damaged + counterfeit and to write it on Macy's letterhead and sign it so you get a $3,000 refund

(2) This Macy's employee claimed to be an "expert" and claimed to "deal with this item on a daily basis". (a) this employee works in household goods, not clothing (b) Macy's doesn't even sell the brand name of the jacket

(3) This employee actually lives in the same house the buyer lives in - so this isn't a "unbiased" third party - it's a scam and fraud.

I don't think Ebay is giving my money back... they said we aren't the ones to make false statements; Macy's is. Which I understand, although, Ebay could of done a better job validating the document (didn't bother asking what department the guy worked in). Did contact that Macy's store and report it to their HR department yesterday. But, I am still out of my $3,000.

Not sure what I should do now....

Timothy Matusheski Law Offices of Timothy J. Matusheski

Complain to FTC, and tweet Ebay about your dissatisfaction.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Mississippi

Consumer Law Legal Forms