Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

I retained a criminal attorney 2 months ago. I paid the agreed retainer fee by check. For 2 months, he updated me with details from the DAís office. Less than 1 month before the actual trial date, he has informed me that he will no longer work my case. He decided to quit after he informed me of some legal misconduct regarding my case. When I asked him to report the conduct, he decided to quit. He says he doesnít want anything to do with my case and he will not be reporting the misconduct because legally he does not have to. He says he does not have to officially withdraw from my case, because itís my tough luck that he never filed a notice of appearance. What can I do at this late date?

Asked on 6/18/13, 12:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should immediately take steps to hire alternate counsel. Ask his advice concerning the prospect of obtaining a partial refund from the first Attorney and ask his advice concerning the nature of the alleged "illegal conduct" discovered in the case. You did not explain in enough detail the nature of the illegal conduct nor did you identify the actors allegedly involved therewith thus it is impossible to render an accurate opinion on that issue.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 11:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now