Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

Legally Married

I have been planning on getting a divorce from my husband of 9 years. I just found out that the pastor that married us did not send the license to the circuit clerk after the wedding. He gave it to me I just thought it was a copy for us to keep. I no longer have it because my husband got mad and burned the license. As far as I know that was the only copy of it we tried. I was wondering if I am legally married and if I still need to get the divorce. My husband still thinks we are but I am no longer sure. He tried to look up the pastor to see if it was valid but the pastor passed away 5 years ago.

Mary Milek Milek Law Firm

Re: Legally Married

Check with the Circuit Clerk where you received the license. They canít give you legal advice, but they can give you whatever information they have. I would say 100-1, youíre married.

Olufemi Salu Salu and Salu Law Firm, PLLC

Re: Legally Married

Your marriage is valid. Please contact me on salu@salulawfirm.com if you still want to get a divorce.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi