Mississippi  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/01/13, 11:16 am

I bought a fixer upper not knowing it was a part of a homeowners association. Diamondhead Property Owners Association in Diamondhead, MS. They are trying to charge me over $10,000 in unpaid non compliance fees from four years before I owned it and including the three years owned it. I bought it on a quit claim deed and the POA claims they filed something with the county attached to every deed in Diamondhead making the property owner responsible for any debt. I already pay dues since I owned it, water, fire, and taxes even though its vacant. The POA said they would waive the non compliance fees if I fixed the exterior. I spent $10k doing that and then later received another letter threatening legal action if left unpaid. Can I give up my rights to the property? The county said they can sell my property for taxes, would I still be responsible for these fees? Can I give the county my property even though my taxes are current? Can I legally abandon the property and remove my name from the deed, removing my responsibility to these outrageous fees? Can I go to court, and just offer the property up instead of owing fees? If the court orders me to pay, can I do anything to prevent future cost to myself in fees, dues, water, fire, and taxes? This property is a curse I don't know how to get rid of! Please help!!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search