Mississippi  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/08/12, 3:18 pm

In MS, if a person pays the taxes on a parcel of land for 16 years and never reimbursed for said taxes, can this payer demand reimbursement or be awarded a deed to the property

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/08/12, 3:51 pm by Joel Blackledge

Unfortunately, the answer is that the payment of taxes alone, is probably insufficient. If, however, you had bought the property at a tax sale, you would have a better chance of obtaining a deed and potentially clear title. Mere payment amounts simply to a gift to the true owner.

Payment of taxes for 16 years, coupled with possession, might, in some situations establish adverse possession. However, to get a deed to the property, you would have to bring a lawsuit.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Blackledge Law Firm, PA 30 Twenty-Ninth St. Gulfport, MS 39507

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search