Missouri  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/24/03, 12:10 pm

name change

Can I change my daughter's last name without her biological father's consent? He lives out of state, pays child support, but has no visitation and has never seen her. She is 9 years old.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/24/03, 12:32 pm by Mark Reiter

Re: name change

Yes, it is possible. Missouri law allows the name of a minor to be changed with either (1) the consent of both parents, or (2) notice of the name change hearing served on the parent that has not consented to the name change. Of course, the father has the right to appear at the hearing and object to the change of name - but it does not sound like he would likely do such based upon your comments. In order for the change of name to be legal, there are a few steps that must be completed in addition to filing the Petition in Court and obtaining the court's approval and order. As such, I highly recommend that you engage an attorney to assist you in the matter. I have handled such name changes for clients for a reasonable flat fee, and would be happy to talk with you about the process over the telephone. Feel free to visit my website www.reiterlawoffice.com or give me a call at (816)444-1172. Best of luck with your situation.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Mark A. Reiter, LLC 7422 N Manchester Avenue Kansas City, MO 64158

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search