Missouri  |  Health Care Law

Civil Suit For Accident

My 12 year old daughter went on a camping trip with her friend and her friends parents. They let the girls ride an atv without helmets. My daughter was thrown off of the back of the atv and suffered a skull fracture requiring two days in ICU, an ambulance ride, and a life-flight hellicopter ride. Are they liable for her medical bills plus any pain and suffering? Also, the initial hospital she was taken to gave her a massive amount of Ativan to knock her out so they could treat her. She slept for almost 36 hours straight. The doc at the second hospital said they gave her enough to knock out five full-grown adults for a day or two. Could they be liable for an overdose? She only weighs 112 lbs. Along with the Ativan, they gave her Valium and an anti-naseua medication. The ICU doc said she was going through a medication hang over and could possibly sleep for days. I am concerned about possible long-term effects of such heavy medication administration. Please advise on both situations. Thank you.

Answered on: 8/11/08, 2:16 pm by Jeff Heinrichs

Re: Civil Suit For Accident

What a scary event for your daughter to go through. There are a few people or companies that may be responsible for your daughter's injuries. Exactly who those people and companies are hinges on what happened. It is important to thoroughly investigate your daughter's accident to understand what happened and identify who, if anyone, was at fault. If you would like to discuss it in more detail, feel free to contact me at your convenience.

McLeod & Heinrichs 1100 Main, Suite 2900 Kansas City, MO 64105