Missouri  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/03/03, 10:39 pm

Copyrights after death of holder

My uncle has copyrights on some things and he past away he does not have any kids or wife and his brothers and sisters don't anything to do with them how can I or can I change them over into my name .Their was no Will

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/04/03, 9:31 am by Mark Reiter

Re: Copyrights after death of holder

Yes, it is possible to transfer a copyright owner's exclusive rights in the copyrighted work. The key for you is to be sure that you obtain all of the rights (that you need) in the copyright from all of the persons holding ownership interest in the copyright. A copyright is a personal property right, and it is subject to the various state laws and regulations that govern the ownership, inheritance, or transfer of personal property as well as terms of contracts or conduct of business. Transfers of copyright are normally made by written contract.

In order to effectuate the transfer so that all third parties will recognize your ownership interest there are certain steps that must be followed. It would be unwise to venture into this area of the law without being advised by an attorney that is experienced in copyright and intellectual property issues.

If you would like assistance in obtaining the transfer of your Uncle's copyright interests, feel free to give me a call at (816)444-1172.

Best of luck.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Mark A. Reiter, LLC 7422 N Manchester Avenue Kansas City, MO 64158

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search