Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Missouri

I work for a small family owned business were I experience a lot of racism. What are my rights?

Jonathan D. McDowell McDowell & McDowell, LLC

You can take action by filing an EEOC charge and MCHR complaint. These agencies will do an independent investigation to determine if your circumstances qualify as workplace discrimination. You when you get a “right-to-sue” letter, you can file a lawsuit in court for discrimination. You should consult with an attorney and give that attorney as much detail as you can to help him/her determine if you have a cause of action.

If you’re still working at the job, then you’ll be able to file a “hostile-work environment” claim. If you get terminated during the claim process, you will be able to add a retaliation claim. These claims can be worth a lot of money if the facts are in your favor. If the business is a small family-owned business, it probably won’t have the money to pay the verdict and then file bankruptcy. It will be very hard to get the money after that.

Suing and then settling may be your best option if there is in fact workplace discrimination.

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Missouri

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms