Legal Question in Business Law in Missouri

Court Judgement

I have a court judgement for $150,000 in the state of Missouri. I used to own a business in Missouri. I gave the former owner of that business a promissory note. I defaulted on the promissory note for $150,000. The person got a court judgement for $150,000. After I defaulted I moved out of Missouri. I do not own any Missouri real estate. I no longer live in Missouri. I am a resident, home owner, registered voter in Kansas. Can the former business owner (the plantiff) in Missouri collect the $150,000 Missouri judgement from any assets I have in Kansas bank accounts?

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: Court Judgement

Generally speaking, I would say that the Missouri judgment creditor could register the judgment in the county where either you or your bank accoounts are located and have those accounts seized through legal process. However, I do not practice law in Kansas, so I would advise you to consult with an attorney in Kansas for legal advice.

Anthony DeWitt Bartimus, Frickleton Robertson & Gorny, PC

Re: Court Judgement

Usually, yes. The defendant need only register the judgment in Kansas and begin garnishment proceedings. He can seize assets and can place a lien on your real estate. While certain defenses continue to exist, the fact that you are in Kansas instead of Missouri is not a bar to collection of the judgment.

More Business Law questions and answers in Missouri

Business Law Legal Forms