Missouri  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/11/13, 3:00 pm

I have failed to appear in court for a breach of contact lawsuit because I was already in my own country and I never got the notice when the lawsuit was filed. What will happen if I'm not able to appear before the judge for the reasons mentioned?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/12/13, 9:22 pm by Anthony Smith

If the plaintiff did not get you served, the Court did not have jurisdiction to enter a judgment against you. There are several ways that you might be served. They don't all guaranty that you know about the case. If the was no service, but a judgment was entered, you need to hire an attorney to get the judgment set aside. If there was service on you, and you failed to appear, or file an Answer, the plaintiff may be entitled to get a judgment by default against you. If this happened, your attorney might still be able to get it set aside. If the plaintiff gets a money judgment, they may be able to have it become a lien on real property you own.

Good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search