Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Missouri

I have failed to appear in court for a breach of contact lawsuit because I was already in my own country and I never got the notice when the lawsuit was filed. What will happen if I'm not able to appear before the judge for the reasons mentioned?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If the plaintiff did not get you served, the Court did not have jurisdiction to enter a judgment against you. There are several ways that you might be served. They don't all guaranty that you know about the case. If the was no service, but a judgment was entered, you need to hire an attorney to get the judgment set aside. If there was service on you, and you failed to appear, or file an Answer, the plaintiff may be entitled to get a judgment by default against you. If this happened, your attorney might still be able to get it set aside. If the plaintiff gets a money judgment, they may be able to have it become a lien on real property you own.

Good luck

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Missouri

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms