Missouri  |  Criminal Law

I was arrested 4 months ago and my *Bond* was set at $250,000 and I was appointed a *Public Defender* and we had several court appearences in the county lower court and when it was moved to the higher county court my *Public Defender* had my *Bond* reduced to $50,000 so I could bond myself out of jail which I did and now that I'm out my *Public Defender* says she can no longer defend me. - - -

I can either defend myself or hire my own Laywer which I can't afford because I am retired living on a $886.00 a month Social Security Pension

Is that legal?

Answered on: 8/18/13, 6:18 pm by Michael R. Nack

That is the way it works. They figure that if you can post bond, you don't qualify for a public defender. Quite possibly a private lawyer would have obtained your release from custody for less, much quicker, and without waiving a preliminary hearing. It appears that you need to hire an attorney. You may contact me directly for a free telephone consultation, and I can quote you a reasonable retainer fee.

Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law 200 South Bemiston (307) St. Louis, MO 63105