Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I am currently on probation, my PO informed me that there where law changes and that I am now required to register as a sex offender because of the way my plea agreement was writen, that case was 12 yrs ago, and I plead guilty to 3rd degree assault, I need to know what my options are, because my PO said I have 3 days to register or they would issue a warrant, and I'm pretty sure that would violate my probation, but I think that since the law changed after the case was closed I shouldn't have to, I'm going to talk to the sheriff to try to keep from having to register, and I'm going to get a petition for expungement, I think I'll need a lawyer, but I still need to know what else I can do?

Asked on 6/28/13, 4:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You're correct that expost facto application of new requirements for old convictions are generally barred. I do not know which change affects your particular conviction, but if it does change your registration status, you might be able to use it as grounds to withdraw a guilty plea. Go meet directly with counsel soon.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/28/13, 4:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now