Missouri  |  Criminal Law

I am currently on probation, my PO informed me that there where law changes and that I am now required to register as a sex offender because of the way my plea agreement was writen, that case was 12 yrs ago, and I plead guilty to 3rd degree assault, I need to know what my options are, because my PO said I have 3 days to register or they would issue a warrant, and I'm pretty sure that would violate my probation, but I think that since the law changed after the case was closed I shouldn't have to, I'm going to talk to the sheriff to try to keep from having to register, and I'm going to get a petition for expungement, I think I'll need a lawyer, but I still need to know what else I can do?

Answered on: 6/28/13, 4:51 am by Anthony Smith

You're correct that expost facto application of new requirements for old convictions are generally barred. I do not know which change affects your particular conviction, but if it does change your registration status, you might be able to use it as grounds to withdraw a guilty plea. Go meet directly with counsel soon.

Good luck

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063