Missouri  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/03/03, 12:55 pm

children's rights

Can a child petition the court for a change of legal custody? DO they have to be a certain age to do so if it is possible? There are two childeren invocled in this, ages 10and 1/2 and 13,both girls living with their father who was granted custody. The mother fought for custody but faced a family of lawyers who had political contacts in the system. The outcome of the custoday and divorce were not wanted by the mother or children. They are afraid of their father and since living with him for the last year, both are having a great deal of problems. The oldest child has been diagnosed wtih acute anxiety and panic attacks by her pediatrician. Both are exhibiting physical signs of depression stemming from seperating them from their mother. The father wanted custody so that he would not ''look bad'' or have to pay child support. He doesn't spend much time with them. Instead he relies on relatives to take care of them or elaves them alone quite freently. The children want a judge to listen to them so they can tell their story. Can you help?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search