Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Divorce waiting period

in Missouri is there a period of repudiation after the Judge has signed the decree? In other words when is the divorce final? Which statute etc. addresses this topic if so?

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: Divorce waiting period

You are divorced as of the date that te Judge signs the Judgment. However, either side can file a Motion to Set Aside the Judgment within thiry days, and if successful, the Judgment might be set aside by the Judge. Also, any party can file a Motion to Set Aside the Judgment based upon certain types of fraud up to a year after the Judgment is signed. I always advise my clients to wait at least the thirty day period before getting married to someone else just to avoid complications, although it is not technically necessary.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri