Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

Signing over Parental Rights vs Guardianship

What is the difference between signing over ''Parental Rights'' vs ''Guardianship'' and how will they affect future filing for custody of my children removed long-term by family services?

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: Signing over Parental Rights vs Guardianship

If you are at the point where someone is requesting you to sign something consenting to thte termination of your parental rights, then it appears obvious to me that you needed legal representation for quite sometime before now. Isn't your relationship with your children one of the most important aspects of your life? Perhaps more importantly, isn't your relationship with your children one of the most important aspects of their lives? To respond to your question, it appears from your post that you are faced with "signing off" on Parental rights, which I read to refer to a Termination of Parental Rights, by a Court at the request of the Division of Family Services. The term "Termination of Parental Rights" means just what it says. Once it occurs, that is, once a final Judgment is rendered, you will have absolutely no further rights to those children whatsoever. YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK CUSTODY OF THEM AGAIN, EVER. I would strongly suggest that you consult with an attorney immediately. It may not be too late to do something about this situation. If you would like a free telephone consultation, you may call me at 314-727-2822.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri