Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Missouri

Back in 2005 I got a misdeamenor for passing bad checks under $500.00 I failed to appear to court because I didn't write all the checks. I wrote like one or two. The rest my ex stole from me, and when i got a copy of one of the checks it was to a chinese restaurant which I do not eat and thats how i knew i didn't write it, and now i have an arrest warrant for $1,000 cash or professional surety. Since then I have been in court for child custody battle in 2006, and didn't get arrested. I have been pulled over, and they didn't arrest me in 2005 and 2006.I pass background checks for jobs. Is it not in their system or something? because I was in the same state, same county and everything. i am just really confused. I do want to get this taken care of, but don't know anything about what i should do.

Sean Santoro Santoro Law Office

Once a warrant is entered into computer, it will stay there until recalled by order of court. It is possible you were lucky when you were pulled over or passed background checks, because one has to be looking for a warrant to find it. Or the hardware/software used may have malfunctioned. In any event, I would not count on luck to make this go away. In order to take care of these charges, you must get the warrant canceled and get a new court date. There are 3 ways to do this. You can post a bond, or use a bondsman, or, in some jurisdictions, a judge will set aside a warrant without posting a bond if the defendant willingly appears in court with an attorney. Once the case is back on a docket, you or your attorney can request the court file and see if there are any defenses to the charge. I suggest you contact an attorney to discuss your options. Feel free to contact me if you want to look into closing this matter.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Missouri

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms