Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Missouri

Background: A friendís Rottweiler became very ill, he was not eating and lost about half his bodyweight. She took him to her vet where she was told they didnít know what was wrong with him. I offered to take him to our vet and that we could set up a repayment plan. I know she doesnít have much money, but wanted to help because the dog was already too thin. She said she didnít want other people touching her baby and didnít want to make the appointment.

About two weeks later, she starting saying she was second guessing herself and was upset that the dog wasnít getting any better, because she was trying to heal him herself.

My husband took off work, drove to her house, told her the dog needed to see a different vet. She sat in the back with the dog and didnít talk because the dog was failing.

The dog was so underweight, his protein level was at 1 and his blood pressure was at zero. The vet was so upset...it was a horrible situation. The dog passed away the next morning.

Because she did not have an account with the vet the bill was posted onto our account. Now she has decided to ignore my messages about setting up a repayment plan.

My question is, would we stand a chance in taking her to small claims court for the $471 bill?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

As long as you're not trying to defraud the court, any case has a chance. You will have to prove up the agreement to repay, if she says it was done out of your concern for the dog, and not as a loan

Good luck

Mel Franke Mel G. Franke, Attorney at Law

yes

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Missouri

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms