Legal Question in Employment Law in Missouri

what process is taken for collection of a court orderd settlement after a lawsuit

Asked on 11/08/11, 12:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan D. McDowell McDowell & McDowell, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the settlement is not paid in accordance with the settlement agreement, there should be provisions in the agreement on what procedures will be taken. If there are not any such provisions, the person who the settlement was awarded can file a lien on any assets of the business. At this point that person becomes a judgment creditor subject to the other debts and liabilities of the entity that owes money.

If the entity is a person, then a garnishment can be done on the person's work wages. In both instances, you will need an attorney to file the appropriate documents properly.

Another way to collect is to file a lawsuit for the collection of the settlement. This will also need the assistance of a competent attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/11, 1:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now