Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Missouri

Can I sue an attorney for charging more in fees than the amount of my claim? My claim was for $4,000 and I have now paid them over $7,000. Missouri has a statute (Rule 1.5 stating ... "lawyer shall not ... charge an unreasonable fee ... factors to be considered include ... amount involved and the results obtained." This is not good practice but is it illegal? thanks, Tim

Anthony Smith LawSmith

The question 'can I sue'? Is almost always angered 'yes', as there is little that cannot be the subject of a suit. The real question is your likelihood of winning. A malpractice claim is VERY fact dependent. You should consult directly with a malpractice attorney in your area. Some a free or low cost initial consultation.

Good luck

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Missouri