Missouri  |  Personal Injury

On August 8, 2009, after suffering trauma from being rear-ended by the back hoe of a big rig on Inter State 70 and watching my mother ejected from the drivers seat where I sat as a passenger, I was offered a settlement of $5,500 total. Minus lawyers fee, I'd have $3,500. Minus psychiatrist fee for PTSD $1800-750. I should clear $2,800. I would like to know if this is a fair and reasonable settlement.

Answered on: 3/30/11, 12:35 pm by Spencer Farris

Impossible to say without knowing the extent of your injuries and the medical treatment/costs what would be a fair settlement.

HOWEVER- you should be asking your lawyer this question, not a group of strangers! If you are paying an attorney to handle the case, he or she owes you answers to these questions. An attorney with personal injury experience evaluates claims like this every day and can give you a fair assessment. If your mother was ejected, I assume her injuries were substantial as well. I can certainly understand the PTSD, and expect that situation is ongoing. This factor goes into the evaluation of the value of the claim. Your injury is unique to you, and requires detailed information to give you a fair answer.

Call your lawyer and ask for a fair assessment of the value of your claim, the chances of winning and losing at trial, and if he is willing to try your case if need be. Insurance companies always pay claimants without an attorney less than those who hire a skilled lawyer.

The S.E. Farris Law Firm 116 East Lockwood St. Louis, MO 63119