Legal Question in Personal Injury in Missouri

I recently purchased a motorcycle. My boyfriend wanted to ride it so upon advice of my insurance agent I added his name to the policy as a driver of the bike so he would be covered. The bike and insurance policy is in my name only. What legal liability do I have as the owner of the bike if he should be involved in an accident?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

A motorcycle is no different than a car, in repsects to the question you asked. If one allows another to use their motor vehicle, then carry a burden of not being reckless or negligent in doing so. If you know or have reason to know that he is going to use the vehicle in a reckless or unreasonable manner that could cause injury or loss to another, you coudl be liable to the person so injured. That is why you have insurance. If your policy coverage is adequate to cover most injuries or property loss that could be caused, then you probably have little to worry about. But, never allow him to use the bike while he is drunk or high. You could be personally responsible for losses that exceed your insurance coverage.

Good luck

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Missouri