Missouri  |  Real Estate Law

my ex-roommate was given notice by his internet company that someone in the house downloaded some illegal movie. he assumed it was me, kicked me out and sent my things to me within days. he kept my computer, after using it without my permission, and told the police my computer was the one used to do the illegal download, and gave them my computer as evidence. all of this done without my knowledge,permission or proof. this was done in early febuary. i have not to this day heard a single thing from this guy. can i start a lawsuit against him for theft of property or anything?

Answered on: 7/05/12, 11:09 am by Sean Santoro

If the police did not have a warrant to seize the computer, your ex-roommate had no right to surrender it to them. I assume you have not been charged. If that is the case, you can demand the return of the computer from the police, and you can sue your ex-roommate for conversion.

Santoro Law Office P.O. Box 546 Lawrence, KS 66044