Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Nebraska

2 year old debt

Like most college kids, I got signed up for a shiny new credit card when i turned 18. I ended up maxing it ($1,000) due to some financial issues, but I was good about always making my payments, and throwing money at it when I had some extra. I didn't make much progress, but I kept it under limit, by a few dollars at least.

About a year and a half after opening the card, I lost my job, couldn't pay, and b/c I was freaked out, never answered my phone when the credit card people called. Now, (two years later), I get a call from my Dad to let me know he has two fat envelopes from lawyers, and the sheriff just came by with a summons.

So what can i expect? Dad's agreed to help me pay it back. Obviously my credit is shot, but will I have to go to jail or have a criminal record of any kind?

David Anderson Mahoney Anderson LLC

Re: 2 year old debt

Depends on how much total balance is, might be worth having me make a call. I often get 40-80 % written off with a lump sum payment proposal. You won;t go to jail. This is purely civil, and they are used to hearing about bankruptcy, fraud, and ID theft. Having a live customer offer cash to settle is a breath of fresh air for them.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Nebraska

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms