Nebraska  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/05/07, 7:37 pm

Inheritance tax

My father and his sister where in the process of selling their father's house when my father died. My sister and I are the beneficiaries of his estate. The check for my father's side of the sale was made out to him, the bank won't let us deposit it into his old account, my sister is also on the account. The house was in Puerto Rico, so we just can get a new check sent. Since we also have power of attorney shouldn't we be able to deposit and draw upon the check? It should be devided between my sister and I. We also have his last tax return, how do we cash that?

1 Answer

Answered on: 12/06/07, 7:18 am by David Anderson

Re: Inheritance tax

You need to hire a PROBATE attorney in the state where he died ( and possibly also in Puerto Rico). A Power of Attorney EXPIRES upon the death of the principal ( the person GIVING the POA).

Good luck with it.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Mahoney Anderson LLC P.O. Box 44504 Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search