Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Nevada


A married couple bought a house in Nevada after being married. The deed/title was in both names.


Can the husband put the house in his name with the wife's consent and then sell house in his name only while still married?

Asked on 4/05/13, 11:37 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Smith James E. Smith Ltd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He can do that but most title companies are going to require the wife to quitclaim again to the purchaser.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/13, 1:56 pm
Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The wife certainly can deed her interest in the property to the husband so he can sell the house as sole owner. I am not sure why you would want to consider this, though.

I will take a guess and say maybe it is a short sale that you do not wish to appear on the wife's personal credit history. Are you thinking that perhaps she could sooner qualify for a new mortgage if she was not involved in the short sale? That is interesting strategy, but ownership would not be the consideration for credit history purposes; rather, if both names are on the current mortgage, the short sale would cause a hit on both credit ratings.

If there is another reason for removing her name from the title, we would be interested in hearing it to, perhaps, offer advice on your proposed strategy.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 6:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now