Legal Question in Criminal Law in Nevada

I am a cancer patient. I have about six months to live without a transplant. I suffer from memory loss and encalofamy due to the side affects from the medications I am on. I unknowingly stole a $5 lighter and the police gave me a citation with an $800 bail. The DA in Churchill County NV decided to file a criminal complant on me for Peti-Theft. What should I do? freeart55@live.com

Roger Harada Law Office of Roger R. Harada

Wow, your case sounds compelling! First of all, I would recommend that you contact every criminal defense attorney in Fallon and see if they would represent you on a pro bono basis. Obviously, it makes little economic sense to hire an attorney for an $800 case, but I feel your case should be fought on principle, which might persuade an attorney to help you for little/no charge. You might also ask to speak directly to the elected district attorney about the office charging decision, as it may have been made by a deputy without knowledge of the unique circumstances of your case. Based upon what you said, without more, you certainly have a defensible case and should fight it, even if you do so yourself.

Good luck in both your legal and health endeavors.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Nevada