Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

My ex-wife recently died and I now have custody of my daughter. My daughters grandmother who lived with her won't give me any documents pertaining to my daughter like birth certificate or social security card. Is there paperwork I can file that will make her have to give me the documents?

Asked on 11/19/12, 10:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Cogan Jeffrey A. Cogan, Esq., Ltd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can issue a subpoena using the Family Court case and request at least copies from the Grandmother, unsure if you can require her to give you the originals. You can also file a Motion in the Family court but you would have to make the Grandmother a party to the divorce proceeding before the Court can exercise jurisdiction.

To me, the easiest to do is to apply directly to the Social Security Dept. and the County agency who issues birth certificates and request new documents.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/12, 10:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now