Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

My ex-wife recently died and I now have custody of my daughter. My daughters grandmother who lived with her won't give me any documents pertaining to my daughter like birth certificate or social security card. Is there paperwork I can file that will make her have to give me the documents?

Jeffrey Cogan Jeffrey A. Cogan, Esq., Ltd.

You can issue a subpoena using the Family Court case and request at least copies from the Grandmother, unsure if you can require her to give you the originals. You can also file a Motion in the Family court but you would have to make the Grandmother a party to the divorce proceeding before the Court can exercise jurisdiction.

To me, the easiest to do is to apply directly to the Social Security Dept. and the County agency who issues birth certificates and request new documents.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada