Nevada  |  Family Law

Is there a nevada law on how to calculate medical premiums when you are to pay half for the children and your ex wife pays the other half?? The problem is calculating when I have a new wife and new son on the family plan with me of course and my 3 other children I have with my exwife all on the same family plan.

Answered on: 8/17/13, 2:06 pm by Marshal Willick

A law? Not so much. But common policy is to calculate the premiums charged with -- and without -- whatever group you are trying to isolate, and comparing the premium sums. Complexity hits when looking at some "family plans" -- the question then becomes which group is "free." While it varies from court to court, most judges in most such situations tend to allocate the additional premium for the people counted as "family," and prorate on a per-person basis. This tends to approximate "fair" adequately for most folks -- but there is no per se rule for how to do it.

Willick Law Group 3591 East Bonanza Road, Ste. 200 Las Vegas, NV 89110-2101