Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

If my name is not on the title of our house and it was purchased after we got married am I entitled to any part of the house if we divorce/

Asked on 11/19/12, 5:19 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey Cogan Jeffrey A. Cogan, Esq., Ltd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you are entitled to any appreciation and any payment of principal from the date of your marriage to the date of the divorce. Of course, you only get 1/2 and your spouse would get the other half. If you file for divorce, make sure that your lawyer files a "lis pendens" which tells any potential buyers that the house is involved in a lawsuit, that being your divorce.

If the house has depreciated so that you are under water, you probably won't get the 1/2 for the reduction of principal. If you have any questions, you may email me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/20/12, 7:43 am
Husna Alikhan Alikhan Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Nevada is a community property state. So yes, you are entitled to one-half of any appreciation in the property.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/12, 11:26 am
John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Generally, anything earned, as well as debt incurred, during the marriage is jointly held, meaning each of you own a half interest in it, whether a debt or an asset. This means that if there is any equity in the house, half of it is yours; however, if the house has negative equity, half of that is also yours.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/12, 1:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now