Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Nevada

QUESTION: Can a Complaint be considered a Responsive Pleading, when it's filed after the Answer?

Re NV EVICTIONS: Landlord serves Notice -> Tenant files Answer -> Landlord files Complaint -> Hearing.

SCENARIO: Tenant files same Answer/Argument every time. Landlord fails to appear or moves for Dismissal, Judge shops, & tries again - rather than rebut. We've been through this 5 times.

Can we argue averment under NRCP 8(d) & maybe estoppel?

Thank you!

Asked on 8/21/13, 4:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rick Williams Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In two decades of civil practice, I have never heard of an answer being filed prior to the complaint. To what are you answering? The complaint is the initial appearance in any civil litigation, and before there is a complaining party, there is nothing to defend. If you are filing a "pre-emptive answer," it likely would be disregarded as an errant pleading. Most courts are a bit more forgiving of violations of the rules of procedure when a party is appearing in pro per (representing himself/herself), so it may be the answer is being considered as though it were properly sequenced.

I am not sure why you would wish to classify the complaint as a responsive pleading, though. Are you perceiving some sort of procedural advantage in that?

Read more
Answered on 8/23/13, 9:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now