Nevada  |  Real Estate Law

Suv crashed into my home is home insurance enough?

Answered on: 5/14/13, 2:29 pm by Rick Williams

Start by asking for the police report generated by the investigating officer (presuming someone called the police after the accident). It will reveal the identity of the driver and his insurance company, as well as policy number, if he is insured. His insurance is primarily responsible for the damages, as I cannot imagine the building jumped in front of him and caused the collision. If there was no police investigation, I certainly hope you gathered ID from the driver and can follow up to make claim on his automobile insurance policy. If you cannot locate the necessary information, file a claim on your homeowner's policy and let your insurance company do the work to track him down and seek subrogation (reimbursement) from the insurance company that should cover his negligence. Save that option for last, though, as you do not want a claim appearing on your insurance history if you can avoid it.

Law Offices of Frederick D. (Rick) Williams, Chtd. 5515 Wedekind Rd Sparks, NV 89431-1147