Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Nevada


my grandfather died without a will what happens next

Asked on 4/21/09, 5:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Reed Reed & Mansfield
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: probate/will

It all depends on the type and nature of property he left. If there is property that has a title and does not pass outside probate it will be necessary to do a probate. Examples would include a house or other real estate he owned in his sole name, a brokerage or bank account in his sole name with no payable on death provisions, etc. Other property properly passes outside of probate. Examples include real estate held in joint tenancy and one of the joint tenants is still alive, life insurance proceeds, bank or brokerage accounts with payable on death provisions, property in a trust.

There is also property that should be probated but often isn't. For example, personal property such as tools, a coin collection, guns, and furniture may simply be distributed among the family.

Assuming that there is a probate opened, the property will be distributed according to the rules set up by the legislature for distributing the property of a person who dies without a will. These are called the law of intestate succession. In a nutshell, if your grandfather died while single the property goes to his descendants.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/09, 12:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now