Legal Question in Banking Law in New Hampshire

Post Dated Checks

When I send in my rent check, I send it early but date it for the first of the month. I have been doing this so I know that the check will get there in time, but I don't get paid until the first and that is why I post-date the check. I have not had any problems until now. They cashed at Jan 1st dated check on Dec 31st and now I have $105 overdraft fee. How are they allowed to cash a check before the date?

Raymond Weicker Qua, Hall, Harvey & Walsh

Re: Post Dated Checks

The law changed many many years ago... there is no such thing as a valid "post-dated" check anymore. By law, the check has to be valid (sufficient funds) when written. The easiest way to avoid this problem in the future is to have the property manager/landlord provide a routing and account number to you so that you can pay the rent online or set up an automatic debit.

More Banking Law questions and answers in New Hampshire

Banking Law Legal Forms