I had an estimate done to repair my chimney and was given a written proposal of $1,800. It was signed and agreed to by both parties. I paid them a 50% deposit of $900 to have the work scheduled to be done, today (5/1/2013).
When they showed up to do the work I was told they will need to do it at another time as they feel the estimate was way wrong. Stated that if they did it at the price that was given they would be doing it for less than free. Said they will be in contact later on this with details and to try and reschedule.
The person who came out to do the estimate took pictures of the chimney and saw everything first hand so there were no surprises; they knew what the job was.
Can I hold them to this contract?
The only additional costs they left provisions for on the proposal was if any alteration or deviation from the specifications involving extra costs. And there is no alteration or deviation from the original proposal.