Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Hampshire

I am scheduled to close ona house in NH 9/30. Unfortunately the title search shows an undischarged mortgage from 1995. The title insurance company I am working with has agreed to provide us with a clean and marketable title and title insurance (so we can close ASAP) while they continue to resolve the issue.

My question is: should we close on the house even though they have not resolved the issue. They tell me I am covered with title insurance, however, my concer is if this can not or does not get resolved/recorded, will I have an issue selling in the future?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Asked on 9/22/13, 4:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Raymond Weicker Qua, Hall, Harvey & Walsh
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless the undischarged mortgage issue is resolved, it will affect marketability of title. Better lenders will not accept insured title with an undischarged mortgage on record. If it can be fixed then wait until you have good title (free of liens) instead of insurable. Buying property with defective title is a bad idea. Generally, the seller owes you good title for good money.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/13, 9:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Hampshire

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now