Legal Question in Administrative Law in New Jersey

I paid a security deposit of $1835 but found out after a few days that I wouldnt be able to rent the apartment (my roommate found out she was pregnant). The mgmt of the apartment has a policy of having to cancel within 72 hours. We passed the mark by 9 days and had to pay a pentalty of ($599). This penalty policy was never documented in the contract letter I received but went with it because I just wanted the rest of my security check back. I find out today that an additional $236 was taken off of the security deposit and called to ask for an explanation. They said it is taken off because they counted the days ($5913) starting with the day the application was submitted and said she was sorry for giving me the wrong explanation. I would like to know if this is legal knowing that they never notified me of such change until i received the check and that there is no policy that indicates the penalty on any of the documents I received or on their management website. I know this is a small amount but it is so unfair for them to take my money without notifying me. There was no explanation and I just want to know if I can get my money back some how because it is so unfair.

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

you may want to hire a lawyer to push them on this, try to get money back.

More Administrative Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Administrative Law Legal Forms