New Jersey  |  Administrative Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/18/13, 12:59 pm

I paid a security deposit of $1835 but found out after a few days that I wouldnt be able to rent the apartment (my roommate found out she was pregnant). The mgmt of the apartment has a policy of having to cancel within 72 hours. We passed the mark by 9 days and had to pay a pentalty of ($599). This penalty policy was never documented in the contract letter I received but went with it because I just wanted the rest of my security check back. I find out today that an additional $236 was taken off of the security deposit and called to ask for an explanation. They said it is taken off because they counted the days ($5913) starting with the day the application was submitted and said she was sorry for giving me the wrong explanation. I would like to know if this is legal knowing that they never notified me of such change until i received the check and that there is no policy that indicates the penalty on any of the documents I received or on their management website. I know this is a small amount but it is so unfair for them to take my money without notifying me. There was no explanation and I just want to know if I can get my money back some how because it is so unfair.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search