Legal Question in Bankruptcy in New Jersey

how long does someone have to revive a judgement? and how do they have to show me how and when this judgement was granted?

Jeffrey Walters Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Walters, LLC

The fact that you are asking how you are to be informed about a judgment against you implies that you did not answer the complaint or participate in the case. Therefore, I will assume for this answer that you are referring to entry of a default judgment against you. If someone obtains a default judgment against you, New Jersey court rules require that they mail you a notice informing you that judgment was entered against you.

A judgment is collectible for 20 years after entry. Revival of a judgment is the process of asking the court to allow an additional 20 years for the judgment to be collected. This is done by motion. The judgment-holder must make the motion prior to the expiration of 20 years, and must provide you with notice of the motion.

I hope this helps.

Note: Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, the response to questions posted does not constitute legal advice or legal representation of the person posting a question. The information provided is general. The poster should obtain specific legal advice from an attorney, and should not rely upon the response as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms