Legal Question in Business Law in New Jersey

LLC and personal judgement

Regarding personal liability and members of a LLC. If a member of a LLC has

a personal judgement against them, can a financial institution freeze the

bank account of the LLC since the individual member's ss# is on the bank

account of the LLC.

Asked on 8/01/08, 11:58 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: LLC and personal judgement

This question can not possibly be answered without detailed information.

Please, please go hire an attorney to help you.

I do this kind of work, and I sense that you have some very serious problems here. Call me if you like.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/08, 12:05 pm
John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: LLC and personal judgement

The member's SSN should not be on the LLC's bank account for exactly that reason. The IRS provides for the issuance of EINs for single-member LLCs so that the LLC is identified as a separate entity.

However, if you have such a problem now, the issue is what to do about it. A judgment creditor can levy against a debtor's interest in an LLC. So, you may be able to apply to the court to release the levy because it is against a separate entitly, but if the LLC is a single member LLC, the judge may not allow it. Additionally, if the LLC is a multi-member LLC where the interest of the debtor-member can be ascertained, the judge may allow the levy to the extent of that interest.

If the amounts are large, you may need the help of a lawyer. My firm handles matters of this type. If I can be of further help to you, call or email.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 8/01/08, 12:31 pm
Ronald Cappuccio Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: LLC and personal judgement

Your question has a faulty assumption. If your LLC was set-up properly, it has its own EIN. The Bank account should have the EIN of the LLC not the SS# of the members.

You should see a tax and business attorney immediately.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Read more
Answered on 8/02/08, 10:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Business Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now